Day 2: Something you love about yourself.
A few years ago this would have been really tough for me. I still find it a little tough even though I have come to terms who I am and what I do love about who I am. I always found it hard to determine what it was about myself I loved, without thinking about what others love about me. How does one learn to perceive themselves without the perceptions of others getting in the way?
Things I love about myself:
- I am resilient. I am strong. I have bounced back from so much in my life. I am able to self-reflect and learn from my mistakes.
- I have a work ethic that is hard to come by; many employers are missing out on a great person simply because I have yet to earn my degree. That paper says nothing about who I am as a person.
- I am capable of anything once I put my mind to it.
- I am loyal to a fault. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I like that my friends/family know they can count on me.
- I love to have a good time. Having fun is fun 🙂
- I love that I am unafraid of saying what I think. I will stick up for myself or others even against the crowd.
- I love that in crisis, I can usually pull myself and others together.
- I will stick to my convictions even if they get me in trouble. I will never apologize for my morals or beliefs.
- I love that I am willing to face most of my fears but I don’t beat myself up over the ones I am not willing to face.
- I love my sense of humor. I think my ability to laugh at myself if one of my better traits.
- I love that I am not afraid to get in a car and just drive. I love that I am okay traveling alone but can travel well with others too.
- I love that, even though I might be a perfectionist, a little bit anal and slightly obsessive-compulsive, I have learned to embrace those things as a part of who I am.
- I love that I was able to easily write this list!
And a few materialistic things:
- I love my blue eyes.
- I love how my butt looks in jeans.
- I have GREAT hair!
- I love my scars- they are little reminders of where I have been and experiences I have had.
- I love that I can be girly but prefer to be in jeans and a t-shirt.
What do you love about you?
Every Monday, at the end of the current weeks M.B.E answer, I will post a question for the following week. This way you can cue your post for Monday if you wish. If Monday doesn’t work for you, you can still play along any day of the week that works best. If you want to play along, all you have to do is post the question and your answer on your own blog. Link your post to my blog so that I know you have participated, and in the following weeks post, I will link all the participant blogs from the prior week.
This Weeks Topic: 2011 Racing
This Weeks Question: What race are you most excited for in 2011? Any destination races? Are you trying out a new distance. Tell us what it is in general you are looking forward to when it comes to 2011 racing.
The race I am most excited for is NJ State. It was my favorite race last year and I am looking to do even better this year. The second race I am most excited for isn’t even one I am running, and that race is Boston! I am so excited to meet so many of you and watch the race that Monday 🙂
And as for trips…well, this is me so of course I have trips planned! First up, Shamrock 8K in VA Beach. Then hopefully I’ll get into the B.A.A 5K for when I am in Boston. I am also planning to travel to New York for the Boilermaker in July to celebrate my 30th birthday. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Next Weeks Topic: Extreme Weather & Keeping it Fun
Next Weeks Question: Do you deal with any types of extreme weather where you live? Heat warnings, a lot of snow, frequent tornados? How do you keep your workouts fresh and fun when you are stuck indoors?
As you all know, this blog supports any and all swimmer/bikers/runners. Regardless of your speed, distance or anything else…if you put yourself out there, I consider you a winner! If you support the idea that Finishing is Winning, and you are one of the first 15 to tell me, I will send you this…
That’s right, my very own sticker! Thanks to Megan at Build-A-Sign that provides custom bumper stickers! Megan contacted me earlier last month and asked me if I would be interested in making a car sticker. Self promote? I was all about it! From beginning to end, Megan was great to work with. I am not exactly the most creative person and I seem to have problems with anything technical. But Megan was eager to help and I was able to get a sticker made up. I love the final product! Megan was kind enough to send me 25 total stickers so that I could give some away to my friends 🙂
If you love the final product, support Finishing is Winning and want to sport one of these awesome stickers, let me know! Email me @ Jillyfly81 at comcast dot net. I suck at getting to the post office (just ask Lindsay) but I promise I will get them to you before…well, lets not give me another deadline to screw up. Just trust me, you will get them!
Listen kids…I am living the life in 2011!
Instead of making a long list of
things I’ll stop keeping up with resolutions in the beginning of January, I decided that I would make a few life changes instead. The idea for 2011 is to give myself as many experiences as possible. Let go a little, be more spontaneous and make as many memories as possible even if it means losing some sleep in the process! And to take a lot of photos. Everything is better in pictures 🙂
Combining my new outlook on life with my new outlook on racing (just have fun with it) has made my life so much less stressful. I am finding it easier and easier to dismiss drama (restaurant business is drama-rific) and I have really been focusing on the people in my life who matter. I am working hard and playing hard. I am dating for fun and meeting a lot of new awesome people. I am loosening up a little, planning random trips and having a blast. I planned a race schedule that is all about fun. In summation: I have taken the pressure off of myself! I am living the life I was always a little too afraid to live- the one I want to live. For me, and no one else. And man, it feels good!
Things just really feel like they are finally coming together for me. I feel back on track with my weight, my exercising and eating right, and in general I just feel good about things. I am learning (how did it take me until 30 to get this?) that it is just so much easier to be happy. It uses less energy and generally feels better. I am aware that I still need to work on my stress levels and that bad days happen; however, the way I have been feeling, something tells me there will be more good days than bad in 2011!
January has been a great month; I spent lots of time with friends, partied it up in A.C for a weekend and recently went on a fabulous ski trip. And best of all, I held to my plan of being spontaneous and booked a trip to Florida in less than two hours one day when the mood struck me to get away for a long weekend. Between working, training and various weekend events, I’ll be in the Florida sun in no time soaking up the much-needed Vitamin D. ♥
How did you January shape up?