The following is a list of things that a friend of mine, CGI race director Michele, placed in her recent newsletter. These are her tips for living happy and I must say, I agree. I added my own thoughts after each one.
1. Forget about the material things – I take pride in the fact that I do not care about brand names or material items. My TV is from 1995, my phone is from 2007 and I do much of my shopping at Target and Kohls. I drive a nice car, I dress well and I live happy. I have never much cared about the latest and greatest items and I don’t believe in having more than I need. Plus, I would prefer to spend my money on making memories (trips, nights out with friends…etc) and not expensive material items.
2. Eat less and exercise more – This is the answer. So often people are looking for some magic trick, some easy way to get fit and be healthy. Well, here it is. I am living proof.
3. Want love…then be lovable – I have my faults like everyone else but I believe I am a genuinely good person. There is little I wouldn’t do for someone and I give more than I take. I try to surround myself with people who are lovable as well 🙂
4. Do something FUN each day – I try to live a fun, adventurous and exiting life but I often forget about fun in the every day as it gets lost among my stresses. I need to pay more attention to the FUN and less attention to the not fun!
5. Be grateful –I have this one nailed. Of course there are things I want for but I know that in the big picture I am so very lucky for what I have in my life. I have amazing parents, a great extended family, friends who love me for me, a secure job, an education, my health and my freedom. It is not always a great life, but it is a good life!
6. Learn something new each day – I think this happens to each of us every day whether we realize it or not. The trick is, to be more aware. I love to learn and I know I constantly am learning but I need to broaden my awareness when it comes to all the new things I experience each day.
7. Try something new- This is something I am getting better at as I get older. I used to be very predictable and afraid of any change, but I have really opened my eyes to new ideas and experiences. I really credit being on my own for much of this, but also my love of triathlon and running. It has brought so much to my life that I would have missed out on if I had been to afraid to try.
8. Talk less, listen more- I will admit fully that I struggle with this daily. I need to work on listening more. And it’s more than that really…I need to work on slowing down. I tend to be moving so fast that I don’t always fully focus on what someone is saying. Multi-tasking is a wonderful thing but when someone is talking it is important to listen fully. Never know what you might miss if you aren’t 100% listening!
9. Live with the glass half full- I used to be a very negative person, always looking at the glass half empty. I still struggle with always seeing it as full, but I have gotten much better at looking at the bright side. Hell, most of the time I am happy to have a cup that isn’t smashed all over the floor!
10. NEVER give up on your dreams- I truly believe in the beauty of my dreams and know that I can achieve whatever I set my mind too. Cliche or not, I know that I have as much chance as anyone to make a difference in the world and I fully intend to do so one day!
What are some of your tips for living happy?